The social coding platform Github provides a wealth of interesting projects to pay attention to. While the majority of the projects published there are code related, there is also an increasing number of API definition, schema, data, and other technology related projects that aren’t just purely code. While you can spend time searching Github topics for interesting projects, one way of tuning into what is going on regularly is to keep on on eye Github trending topics. Github users can tag their repositories with topics, and these topics can be browsed, searched, and eventually pulled using the Github API.
There are hundreds of interesting topics trending on Github, but we wanted to showcase twenty of the topics we are finding interesting in the Github project repository and are working to keep tabs on. Here is what we are tracking on as of May 2018:
– Ansible – Ansible is a simple and powerful automation engine.
– API – An API (Application Programming Interface) is a collection of protocols and subroutines for building software.
– Bitcoin – Bitcoin is a cryptocurrency developed by Satoshi Nakamoto.
– Blockchain – Blockchains are distributed ledgers that can record transactions between parties in a verifiable and permanent way.
– Cryptocurrency – A cryptocurrency is a digital currency that uses cryptography.
– Data visualization – Data visualization is the graphic representation of data and trends.
– Database – A database is a structured set of data held in a computer, usually a server.
– Deep learning – Deep Learning is an artificial neural network composed of many layers.
– Ethereum – Ethereum is a distributed public blockchain network.
– Firebase – Firebase is a mobile app development platform that provides data analysis and database web services for developers.
– GitHub API – The GitHub API allows you to build applications that integrate with GitHub.
– HTTP – HTTP (Hypertext Transfer Protocol) is the standard for communication across the web.
– Kubernetes – Kubernetes is an open source system for automating deployment, scaling, and management of containerized applications.
– Machine learning – Machine learning is a way of modeling and interpreting data that allows a piece of software to respond intelligently.
– MATLAB – >MATLAB is a programming platform for numerical computation and visualization.
– Natural language processing – Natural language processing (NLP) is the study of how computers and humans interact.
– REST API – A representational state transfer (REST) API is a way to provide compatibility between computer systems on the internet.
– Serverless – Serverless architecture refers to apps that depend on third-party services or custom code.
– Tensorflow – TensorFlow is an open source software library for numerical computation.
– Twitter – Twitter is an online news and social networking service where users post and interact with messages, known as “tweets”.
We are keeping an eye on blockchain, bitcoin, and other cryptocurrencies because our streaming services are extremely relevant to these space. Additionally, we are keeping an eye on TensorFlow, and some of the other machine learning and artificial intelligence topics because they hold a lot of potential for adding value to the real-time data streams our clients are publishing. The other topics we are just finding interesting stories, tools, and people in them on a regular basis, making them relevant to helping keep our blog active.
Once the Github topics API comes out of preview we will look at turning Github topics into real time streams, and add them to Github APIs we are using to publish real time streams of data coming out of the platform. We consider Github to be one of the most important platforms out there for understanding where the API sector is headed. The organizations, people, and projects that are being moved forward on the platform represent the front line of the tech sector and provide some of the most valuable signals you can find for understanding what is happening across the world of APIs.